What tools do you use to maintain your VPS?

For mobile I use mainly juicessh , or terminus/connectbot if tunneling needed

On Windows mixture of putty, winscp, bitvise

Never tried Mac, but would it be easier to use Mac?

What other tools do you use for convenience?

On Android, JuiceSSH is awesome. I don’t use Windows but Putty works great. I do use Linux, and Konsole works fine enough for me

Other tools, ahh… tmux! I can’t state enough how awesome tmux is. It’s basically terminal windows, it takes some getting used to the keyboard shortcuts but it’s totally worth it. I usually run htop and slurm and a few tail -F blah.log in a tmux window, and in other tabs things like IRC, etc. It’s just an awesome alternative to screen IMO

David wrote:

On Android, JuiceSSH is awesome. I don’t use Windows but Putty works great. I do use Linux, and Konsole works fine enough for me

Other tools, ahh… tmux! I can’t state enough how awesome tmux is. It’s basically terminal windows, it takes some getting used to the keyboard shortcuts but it’s totally worth it. I usually run htop and slurm and a few tail -F blah.log in a tmux window, and in other tabs things like IRC, etc. It’s just an awesome alternative to screen IMO

Do you simply install Linux on any workstation/laptop? I’m currently exploring to use it on older laptop. Windows 10 is too heavy!

cybertech wrote:

David wrote:

Do you simply install Linux on any workstation/laptop? I’m currently exploring to use it on older laptop. Windows 10 is too heavy!

I have 2 laptops, one is my main computer and the other has a dead battery but I use it for my kids to play around on. Both running Kubuntu 18.04 and it’s perfect for my needs. I don’t game so I don’t need Windows.

If you want to try out Linux on an old laptop, have a look at Elementary OS it’s very Mac like and very lightweight and fast.

dont know if i’m slow or…just found that chrome has secure shell app!

cybertech wrote:

dont know if i'm slow or...just found that chrome has secure shell app!

I wonder what the advantage of using SSH in the browser is? Maybe I’m missing something or it could be a Windows thing, since I’m used to using Linux and having a terminal basically built into the system.

Always somewhat amused at those with secure linux servers, potentially compromised by using Windows (/Android?) clients, to connect. :wink:
How the heck any admin can miss out on inbuilt virtual desktops also amazes me.